Jeremy Allaire on Circle’s ‘Multi-Decade’ Strategy and Where Stablecoin Regulation Is Headed
It’s been a busy year for USDC issuer Circle, with several new product launches and partnerships, a crypto banking crisis to contend with, the entry of PayPal into the stablecoin business, and plenty of new global regulatory developments, including a bill in the U.S. now making its way through Congress. Circle co-founder and CEO Jeremy Allaire joins Unchained for an in-depth discussion on the reasons behind Coinbase’s investment in Circle, how Circle has emerged stronger from the banking crisis, what he thinks of PYUSD, what he likes and doesn’t like about the current U.S. stablecoin bill, and his thoughts on what the final bill will look like.
- Why Circle and Coinbase created the Center Consortium and why Coinbase acquired a stake in Circle?
- Whether Circle is aiming to be acquired or become a public company, and why Jeremy is pursuing a “multi-decade” strategy.
- Why Circle partnered with MercadoLibre and the stablecoin usage in Latin America?
- How the company has been supporting developers to build applications.
- Why Circle is launching native USDC on so many new blockchains?
- What the purpose of cross-chain transfer protocol (CCTP) is and what the big problems with bridges are.
- How Circle responded to Silicon Valley Bank’s collapse and why the world began to feel that “it’s not safe to be exposed to the US.”
- Jeremy’s thoughts on the launch of PayPal’s stablecoin, PYUSD.
- Why is having stablecoin legislation a “national priority,” according to Jeremy?
- Why Jeremy is a proponent of a fully reserved banking system?
- Why did he think the US needs to “aggressively” take action to preserve the global reserve currency status of the US dollar?
- How China’s national digital currency is likely to develop.
- How crypto can provide a better way of supporting identity without giving up privacy?
- Why blockchain technology is much more than just a financial regulatory matter?
Unchained Podcast is Produced by Laura Shin Media, LLC. Distributed by CoinDesk. Senior Producer is Michele Musso and Executive Producer is Jared Schwartz.